Drinking Water for Health: 10 Science-Proven Benefits
The best supplement you can take for your overall health, fitness and wellness is also the most affordable. In fact, you can even get it for free. You want to know what it is? It’s water.
“Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink” goes the “Rime of the Ancient Mariner”. But the truth is there is plenty of water to drink. The problem is consumers have been lured by commercial manufacturers of processed water.
These are water-based products that have been adulterated with refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, excessive amounts of sodium and artificial ingredients. Processed water is commercially packaged and sold as sodas, fruit juices and electrolyte replacement drinks.
Many are advertised as having health benefits: low calorie, no sugar, no caffeine or prevents dehydration and cramping. But the truth is you are introducing potentially toxic substances in your body when you patronize these products.
Your best and healthiest option is plain water. It is pure, natural and it comprises 60% of your body. If you’re still sold on the irresponsible advertising done by the big companies, let science bring you to the light.
Here are 10 science-proven health benefits of drinking water:
- Helps You Lose Weight. Many studies have been conducted to prove that people who drank water before a meal lose more weight because they tend to eat less. Drinking water regularly also increases metabolism which helps you burn more body fat.
- Aids in Digestion. If you eat oatmeal, drinking water helps fiber expand and move faster to clean your colon and intestines. Drinking water also helps relieve constipation by dissolving fats and flushing out toxins. By flushing out waste products, water relieves the pressure from your liver and kidneys.
- Reduces Risk of Cancer. Studies have also shown that drinking water may reduce the risk of acquiring certain types of cancer. These include bladder cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer. The reason is linked with frequent urination as a way to get rid of toxic contaminants in the body.
- Naturally Prevent Headaches. Dehydration can cause headaches and migraines. But studies show drinking 2 cups of water can alleviate headaches within 30 minutes.
- Improves Cognition and Mental Alertness. When you go on without water for extended periods of time, your brain tissue starts to shrink. This is why dehydration makes it difficult to think clearly. There are even studies that show students who bring water to tests perform better.
- Protects Internal Organs. Remember that the human body is made of 60% water. Having enough water in your body helps in blood circulation and assists in the proper functioning of the organs. Kidneys, for example, help control blood pressure. Your kidneys need water to work more efficiently.
- Improves Heart Health. There have been studies that show a link between coronary heart disease and insufficient intake of water. The risk of coronary heart disease appears to increase if you drink more processed drinks such as sodas.
- Relieves Hangovers. Drinking alcoholic beverages lead to dehydration. The by- product of excessive consumption of alcohol is the dreaded hangover which causes headaches and migraines. Drinking one glass of water after every bottle of beer or glass of spirits will relieve the effects of a hangover.
- Improves Exercise Performance. Exercise leads to dehydration which will affect performance. Frequently rehydrating by drinking water throughout long workouts will prevent dehydration, delay the onset of fatigue and make your sessions more productive.
- Improves Your Mood. Drinking water improves your mood for one simple reason: it is refreshing! Ever tried maintaining a conversation when you are thirsty or dehydrated? Studies have shown that even mild cases of dehydration can negatively impact mood.
So the next time you feel thirsty, reach out for the bottle of water instead of soda or fruit juice. Better still, head off to the water fountain and get it for free. If you feel a headache coming up, drink a glass of water instead of popping a pill. Water is nature’s gift of life to you.